We at Tippet-Richardson offer an excellent packing service, to help take the stress out of moving. However, if you’re going to be doing it yourself, take a moment to read our packing tips!
As soon as you know you’re moving
Begin planning and packing right away. Don’t leave it till the last minute and then get overwhelmed. Need somewhere to start? Try our Moving Checklist here: http://126.96.36.199/moving-checklist-canada/
Make a list with three columns and list your items:
- To be moved by the moving company
- Items you’ll move by yourself
- Things to sell or donate
Start collecting boxes for the move. Ask at your local grocery store, or on community forums, such as Craigslist. (If you’re using a moving company, ask them to send over an assortment of boxes. Make sure this service is free. You should only have to pay for the boxes you use.)
Ready to Pack
- Prepare a Moving Day Kit. Keep this kit close and make sure it travels with you! It should contain any and all items you’ll need while in transit, such as:
- A change of clothes
- Important documents (passport, insurance, vehicle registration, wills, deeds, stock, etc.)
- A box or bag, preferably lockable, of personal items that will include all your jewellery, cash, and items of high value.
- From the first stage of packing, make sure you label the contents of all boxes carefully.
- Pack together items that are essential to you feeling settled and write Open First / Load Last on each box. When you move into your new home, you’ll be able to unpack these items first. These might include:
- Kitchen essentials
- Comfy sleepwear
- Cleaning products
- For the remainder of your packing, try to not only label the contents of the boxes, but also state the room they are destined for. It will save you time and trouble, as the boxes are more likely to end up in a helpful spot at the new place. Whilst this may seem like a lot of work, future you will thank you for it!
Some items require special consideration when packing, so we’ve prepared extra guidance for those. Click below, for the relevant info:
Settling into your new place
Once all items are unloaded, don’t overwhelm yourself with unpacking! Only unpack what you need for the first day or two. This is where those ‘Open First / Load Last’ boxes come in handy. Then, when you’ve gathered your energy for the next stage, you can gradually unpack and get settled in at leisure, all thanks to your thoughtful packing strategy!